Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Day Like Today

Sitting down and typing out what JUST happened might be the only way I can unwind and laugh at this situation.

Every picture I have posted recently of our sweet Evelyn is cute. You may not always agree, but I haven't posted pictures of the bad days. I rarely, if ever, take pictures on "bad days". But oh my, was today quite a day. I wish I had a picture for it.

Evelyn and I got out of the house because Korey is working on our new house all day (I'll post about that soon). Toys do not occupy this child for long. She wants to be going, doing, seeing, hearing, feeling, talking, playing with everyone and thing but our house and me. She will play here, but gets much more needy and frustrated in a shorter amount of time than if we are out and about. We went to the Memphis Zoo twice this week. We like to do things. But it was a rainy day, so we headed to find this Momma some more maternity shirts. I borrowed a lot of my maternity clothes last summer when I was pregnant with Evelyn and gave them all back. Pregnant again. Regular clothes only cut it for so long. So we are on a mission. Cheap, modest, big belly shirts. We head to Ross... No such luck. Evelyn did great; talking to baby dolls on the shelves in the children's section and smile screaming at real kids she sees walking around or also riding in carts. No modest maternity shirts. So we head on to Old Navy hoping to find something. Even if not maternity, maybe just stretchy shirts in a bigger size (and maybe on sale?!). Evelyn has been up for over 2 hours at this point. Usually this isn't a big deal if we are out where she can look at things and such. We find some shirts! Hoping they fit right, but not playing the guessing game, we wait for the large dressing room so I can push her stroller in with me. Five... ten... minutes goes by while I try to entertain her. Toy. Peek-a-boo. Another toy. Snack bowl. Lids. More toys. Bored. Let's try some puffs. Okay that's working. Alright finally in the dressing room. I face her towards the mirror and she's good. Nope getting cranky again. Pushing 3 hours of being awake, so I give her a Mum Mum (organic rice rusk - pretty much a really thin flattened rice cake type flavorless "cracker" that is great for babies). Evelyn loves these. Now that she has teeth on top and bottom, she even bites off little pieces. So she's entertained and I am trying on shirts as quickly as I can. Evelyn makes a coughing noise. I decide to unbuckle her just in case she needs to sit up more. Too late. Throw up. Oh, not done. More throw up. Out the nose, all in the car seat (that I just washed Thursday because of a similar incident), alllll over Evelyn and partially Momma. Sigh. It smells. I'm pregnant. Sigh. Now I'm the person taking forever in the only large dressing room. After finally getting that situation under control, handled, cleaned, whatever, Evelyn is happy go lucky and happy screaming at the top of her lungs in the dressing room and through out the rest of the store like NOTHING happened. Okay. Great. She started bawling the minute we got in the car. At least it's only me at that point. A few more things happened in process of trying to get home that just made it all seem a whole lot worse. But I'll spare you those complaints :)

The point of this post is that being a mom is often gross, stressful, and so tiring. I love it. I love her silly babbles to her doll in the back seat and then finally falling asleep 30 seconds from our house. I love that she makes me more Christlike because of the patience and humility she brings to my life. And as a sweet friend Rachel reminded me this week, I am not enough for Evelyn. I never will be. Days like today, really remind me. I look forward to the day that she starts to understand that I'm not enough and that's why we have Christ.

Glorifying Him because He is Enough

1 comment:

  1. Mothering is so constant. Your a sweet Momma! I've felt everything you've said and I've returned from shopping trips in tears on more than one occasion. Tiny ones are so demanding and needy, just like they need us we need Christ. I'm so glad you already know that though. Love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete